Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Power Outage

This morning, at around 8:30 am, the power went out in Maryville. Luckily, cell phone towers are hardly ever affected by such problems.

The first thing I did was to grab my iPhone and check both Twitter and Facebook. I noticed that two other people had already posted to Facebook that their power was out as well. It indicated to me that it was not just the Northwest Missouri State University campus that was without power, but also the rest of Maryville, or at least, certain areas in Maryville.

I noticed that on twitter none of the news agencies had reported on the outage yet, a very common occurrence. It also shows the power of social media when it comes to timely information. I decided to notify KQ2 in St. Joseph and a few minutes later my post was retweeted to far larger audience than I would be able to reach myself.

Some funny side notes, thanks to this power outage and thanks to social media I now also know way more than I ever wanted to on what people were doing this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment